Oakwood Church Leeds

Site PlanAboutFaithLifeNewsContact
facebookTwitter
Home

About


On 14 November 2013 the Churches of Roundhay Methodist and Roundhay St John formed an Ecumenical Partnership, taking the name Oakwood Church. On 1 December 2013 we enjoyed our first unified service


Our two churches had co-operated for many years and in 1998 we entered into a formal covenant to work together. In 2006 we began to share the modern Roundhay Methodist Church building at Springwood Road, opened in 1986


We don’t know exactly when Methodism first started in the Township of

Roundhay but well before 1815 people were meeting in the upstairs room of

an cottage on Chapel Lane - now called Chapel Cottage on North Lane


Roundhay St John’s original church building on Wetherby Road was consecrated in January 1826 and the first regular service was held there on 12 March 1826. A school and Alms houses were built next to the Church and opened in 1837


In November 2007 the last public service was held and responsibility for the, now redundant, building was passed to The Church Commissioners


About

History Governance



A Methodist-Anglican Partnership


Roundhay Methodist Church and Roundhay St John

At the heart of our local community